What is Heavy Ion Cancer Therapy
Heavy ion cancer treatment is a type of radiation therapy. The cutting edge technique involves the irradiation of cancer lesion using focused beams of carbon ions accelerated to approximately 70% of the speed of light.
Advantages of Heavy Ion Cancer Therapy
1. Concentrated irradiation of the cancer lesion
X-rays used in conventional radiotherapy are most effective near the surface of the body and emit energy as they penetrate deeper into the tissue. Heavy ions, however, cause an energy peak at a fixed depth within the body, and emit considerably lower levels of energy before and after this point. By matching this depth to the position of the cancer lesion, it is possible to specifically target the tumor and effectively treat cancers situated deep within the body.
2. Minimal side effects
As radiation is concentrated on the cancer lesion only, damage to the surrounding normal cells can be minimized, thereby significantly reducing the likelihood of the side effects.
3. Outpatient treatment made possible
As surgery is not require, patients can be treated on an outpatient basis. Furthermore, treatment can still be provided to patients who are not confident about their physical strength, such as the elderly.
4. Intractable cancers now treatable
Heavy ion therapy makes it possible to treat a wider range of cancers, including those for which conventional radiation therapy has shown little effect such as osteosarcomas, and cancers that cannot be removed surgically because they have developed in complicated areas.
5. Short treatment period
Heavy ion beams have two to three times the anti-cancer cytotoxic capacity of proton beams, X-rays, and gamma rays. Since each radiation session is more effective, the overall treatment can be shortened significantly.
1. Initial examination - UPC Medical Concierge will collect all medical reports from patient and send to medical centre for first assessment.
2. Examination - Confirms that the patient has undergone the necessary tests and explains the treatment and any possible side effects to the patient.
3. Preparation for treatment - During this stage, fixture to hold the body in place during treatment are created and CT scans are used to measure the position of the cancer so that a treatment plan can be devised. There may also be a treatment rehearsal. *Preparation for treatment is generally expected to take approximately one to two weeks.
4. Radiation Therapy - Treatment is received once daily, and the during of the irradiation is around one to five minutes. Including the preparation time needed to position the patient for irradiation, a session takes a total of approximately twenty to thirty minutes.
5. Post Treatment - After the treatment, the hospital will continue to monitor the progress of the rehab with UHG Medi-Care. *Actual treatment may differ from the above example in some cases.
【 FAQ 常 見 問 題 】
就診前請問需要什麼手續？ What procedures will I need to complete first?
Please consult your doctor first. Patients need to be examined in other medical institutions. After diagnosis of cancer, please ask your attending doctor for a referral to receive heavy ion therapy treatment.
患者家屬可以單獨諮詢嗎？ Can a family member come alone to discuss treatment on behalf of another person?
Yes. The patient's family shall confirm the following before consulting:
- Does the patient have a willingness to receive treatment?
- Medical records (diseases, surgical procedures, etc.)
- Symptoms (degree of pain, etc.)
- Physical exercise ability (can you move, whether you need help in daily life)
從初診到治療開始需要多長時間？ How soon after the initial examination will the treatment start?
治療過程中必須要住院嗎？ Will I need to be hospitalized during treatment?
The hospital doesn't include a ward for patients so they are required to commute for treatment. Patients from abroad can use nearby accommodation facilities.
一次治療大約多長時間？ How long does one treatment session takes?
It takes about 20-30 minutes from entering the treatment room to the time you leave. The actual time to receive heavy ion beam irradiation is only a few minutes. Irradiating beams requires an X-Ray photo to determine the treatment location and adjust the body position in millimeters, a process that takes about 15 minutes. Of course, the time required to treat different parts is not the same.
治療有疼痛感嗎？ Will I feel pain during the treatment?
You will not feel pain or heat when heavy ion beams are irradiated during treatment.
Inside the treatment area, it has equipped with the most advanced large-scale medical equipment such as a circular synchrotron with a heavy ion line and a diameter of 20 meters; on the other hand, the interiors are finished in wood to create a warm, relaxed atmosphere. This space has a calm, soothing atmosphere and helps patients relax.
There are three treatment rooms. In Treatment Room A, radiation can be applied horizontally or at a 45-degree angle, and Treatment Room B is equipped for bidirectional irradiation (both horizontal and vertical). In Treatment Room C, a next-generation 3D scanning irradiation equipment will be introduced very soon.
Approximately half of the area of the building is occupied by the equipment, in particular a circular accelerator called a synchrotron that measures 20 meters in diameter. The carbon ions are derived from methane gas in an apparatus known as the ion source. These carbon ions are first accelerated to around 9% of the speed of light in two linear accelerators. Next, the synchrotron is used to accelerate them to 70% of the speed of light – the level of energy required for the treatment. Then the ion beams can be sent to treatment rooms and irradiated to cancer lesions in patients.
UHG Medi-Care Heavy ion Cancer Therepy Package
Business Hotel near medical centre
First day: Fly from Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) to Japan. Meet and greet by UPC Medical Concierge and transfer to hotel with private chauffeur.
Treatment: Transfer to medical centre for medical check and operation. Transportation, meals and leisure activities are taken care of by UPC Medical Concierge.
Final day: Operation completes and fly back to Hong Kong.
UPC Personalized Services (Personalized service will incur extra costs)
Hotel Upgrade - Five-star Hotel
Flight Upgrade - Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon Business Class
Interpretation - Professional Medical Interpreter accompany you to the medical centre
Others - Personal tour guide for your group. Our Chinese speaking guide is pleased to offer the best Japanese experience
Well Beyond Healthcare.
© 2019 UPC Hospitality Group Limited. All rights reserved.
UPC Hospitality Group Limited
Unit 2202, Causeway Bay Plaza 1,
489 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay,
The information, photographs, pictures, products, services and other materials contained and/or displayed herein (the “Content”) is for reference only and shall not form part of any offer, contract, representation or warranty expressly or impliedly. The Content contained herein was compiled in good faith, but it should not be construed as forming part of any contract or any pre-contractual representation of fact.